Wednesday, November 5, 2008

A fresh start!

Some thoughts on this election:

This has been the most fascinating one of my life. Now, I'm not sure if it really is or if I'm just getting OLD, but I think truly it was. To have a minority and a woman both on the ticket was awesome. I really believe it was a win-win situation for our country that we have come this far.

I know some of you out there are depressed today, but don't be. God is still in control. Our duty now is to support our new president and pray for him and all the other leaders. It doesn't matter if we agree with them or not. God says we are to honor and respect those in authority over us, whether it's teachers, bosses, police, politicians, pastors etc. This doesn't mean we have to agree with everything they do. I mean, honestly, is there anyone in your life that you agree with 100%?

And if you were fortunate to have your candidate win, then be gracious with those around you. Don't rub it in. Just embrace the days ahead.

I won't tell you who I voted for, but I can honestly say, I was going to be happy no matter who won - although I did have a favorite! I think both candidates were far superior to the Bush/Gore election of a few years ago. All four of the people on the ticket have incredibly fascinating life stories. None of them probably could have ever dreamed where their lives would take them. We can be proud that they all worked hard and achieved the American Dream in their own way. They weren't from political dynasty families like the Bushes, Kennedys, or even Clintons. That makes me proud to be an American.

Life will go on and God is sovereign. Change is hard sometimes, but some of the best things in life came about thru change. Look how far we've come in 100 years. I wouldn't have been able to vote 100 years ago, neither would Barack Obama. The church stood in the way of these rights in the past and we still stand in the way of some rights today. Let's embrace change. Let's all work together to make our country and our communities better. It's what Jesus would do.

Tomorrow, back to something more lighthearted!

3 comments:

Jenn said...

Well said!

Anonymous said...

Them that raised you (and their'n) must be mighty proud.

Emily said...

Great post...we need more people who think like you do. :-) MommaJen for president?