Sunday, November 9, 2008

National Adoption Month

November is National Adoption Month - a time to focus on the importance of adoption and the celebration of families created thru adoption.

This year the focus is on finding families for the thousands of children in foster care. This is a crisis and one that breaks my heart. I feel a burden for these children without parents. Many of these will be in the "system" until they turn 18 and will remain "orphans" all the days of their lives. Do we not need parents any longer once we are 18? Think about all the times you've called your parents for money, advice, a shoulder to cry on, or to celebrate a big accomplishment---if you are like me, there have been many of these phone calls since you turned 18.

I have a burden and have been praying for many months about what God would have me do for these children. Is my role simply to pray? Are Lance and I called to adopt one of these into our family? Is there something else altogether we are to do? The answer right now is "I don't know", but I will keep searching.

If you have a burden for these children, I encourage you to pray as well.

N and L were great additions to our family and they happened to come thru adoption. It's a miraculous journey and at times, a difficult one, but one that we have never regretted.

Celebrate adoption this month!

No comments: