Monday, January 26, 2009

The bullies strike again


We have some bullies on our street. Not cool. Not nice, and quite frankly, the parents are bullies too. The apple doesn't far from the tree. Or something like that.


The kids and I rode our bikes to the park yesterday and spent some time there playing with Max, one of N's friends from school. While Max and N played, L loved on their two puppies, and I chatted with Max's parents.

Pretty soon, another neighbor boy showed up and proceeded to march up to us and let us know that the bullies had beat him up and the momma saw everything and didn't say a word. Oh yeah, same circumstance as us. And even though this is not my child, it riled me up! I'm sooooo tired of this bully house running our neighborhood. They have now officially terrorized every child on our block and they do not discriminate based on age, gender, or nationality. Oh no, they are equal opportunity bullies. So, do you think this would be effective?






Now, I will have to say, that even though N knows these kids are bullies, he still wants to be their friend. He told me the other day that he feels sorry for them and he wants to help them be nicer. Now, this warms my heart and makes me thankful for my sweet tender-hearted boy, but I confess, I still want to beat up the bullies and their mom. He is willing to "turn the other cheek", me --not so much. I need to work on this.

So, do any of you have any advice? Ever encountered a bully personally or with your children? Did you just stay inside 24/7? Did you "call them out"? 'Cause if you don't have any advice for me, I may just have to resort to this:




Oh, who am I kidding? We wouldn't resort to that. We would just talk about it---come to think of it, maybe that's what the bullies realize. They can "smell" our weakness and they prey on us. Or maybe, they are just having a bad day. or 2 or 5,000.

3 comments:

Ladybug Fanatic/Monkey Tales said...

It is ashame that bullies exist. I remember being bullied when I was young...even in my junior high years. It made me shy and cowardish which just added to the fuel of the bullies. Sorry N is experiencing this. There will always be a bully.

Jenn said...

Okay! This has really hacked me off. I don't even live on your street and I want to give this woman a piece of my mind. You can definitely take the high road on this one. Maybe you could call a meeting together with your neighbors and see what they think. Have everyone over for chips and dip and just chat. Maybe you all could come up with some creative way to confront them or shun them...OR you could march right over there and tell that woman exactly what she and her little brat of a bully can do. Now of course this probably won't get you anywhere and will only make you feel good for about 10 minutes. To be perfectly frank...this sucks! I can honestly say, I don't know if I could have been as gracious as you have been. Good Luck!

QuiteContrary said...

oh bullies are not fun. let me tell you, it is not just boys either. 4th grade girls are mean. M is one of those tender-hearted kids too. it breaks my heart and fortunately we haven't faced any physical bullying, just a lot of hurtful words. i have told her to call them out on it. just to say "that isn't very nice" when they say something mean and unprovoked. at least it doesn't give them power over her by her shrinking in front of them, and it actually made a difference with one little girl. but there is another girl whose heart is just in a bad place. she is the girl in class that is mean to everyone and yet everyone wants to be friends with her. not sure what to do about her. i know this is just the beginning of a long, hormonal road!