Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Strong Willed Child

I have one of these. A strong willed child. She is beautiful, she is sweet, she is adventerous, and she wants what she wants when she wants it.

L has an opinion about everything and her opinion is ALWAYS RIGHT. She likes certain cups to drink out of, she likes just the right amount of milk in her cereal. She doesn't like to brush her hair (except today when she wanted ponytails!), she doesn't like to wear socks with her tennis shoes. Oh, and she still wants her cassie (pacifier)! This, at 3 years old.

Lance and I have struggled a bit with our strong-willed child. We are both first-born types who always wanted parental approval and tried our best to behave. I think Lance succeeded better than I! N, our eldest child, has always been a pretty happy-go-lucky type kid. He might get mad about something, but it doesn't last long and he's pretty easy to redirect. Not L! She is our challenge!

She always wants to eat the minute we walk in our house - no matter the time! She loves to take bubble baths in our master bathroom with the water right up to the edge of the tub. She likes to tattoo herself with chalk and water everyday! And you know what?!?!? We love her. I love her to pieces - she is my darling gal even when she is driving me crazy, b/c you know sometimes she just does. I know, I know, a mother should never admit this, but I will. Sometimes I just don't know what to do for L. I want to make her life easier and happier, and I just can't sometimes. When she gets her mind stuck on something, she won't let it go!

So, I'm choosing to think, this could be a very powerful and great attribute to possess in her teenage years. Boys - no! Drugs - no! At least this is my prayer for her. That she would be strong-willed in all the "right" areas. Her momma is pretty "strong-willed" too and it has kept me out of alot of trouble, although I do think it has brought me some trouble as well. But, all in all, I'd rather have a daughter that is strong-willed and won't let people push her around than one that is easily influenced and convinced to do things that aren't right.

So, if you see Lance and I looking a little ragged, a little stressed, or with a few more wrinkles or gray hair, it's probably because we're wrangling with our "strong-willed" darling! We wouldn't trade it for the world. And, plus we're probably learning something, right?!?

3 comments:

Jenn said...

I hear ya! I think I have one too! Boy they can wear you out. But you are absolutely right about everything....I love her to pieces and I think it will come in handy later in life. I just can't imagine where she got it from....:)?

circus of love said...

Love the new colors on your blog. My #3 is seems to be my most strong willed so far.

MammaJensKidBrother said...

I have 4 of those. Just Kidding

What's that book: don't sweat the small stuff? if a certain cup makes her happy, give in, etc...

I learned the hard way with Amelia that pushing back against that will too much can be devasting to a child. She went through a stage where she lost self-confidence and thought she couldn't do anything right because Daddy tried to correct "unacceptable behavior" too much. Mostly she was acting like a 3 year old probably should.

I was the strong-willed child and butted heads with Mom (as strong-willed as they come--in a good way) as a result. Dad took the approach of picking his battles.

Im working on that

This is longer than your post now, but what I mean to say is let her win some battles so that the war isn't lost.